San Giorgio is a town of nearly 3,500 located in the Messina province
at 287m a.s.l. The Chiesa Madre dedicated to Saint George is the
main religious building. Divided into nave and aisles, it houses
prized works such as a painting depicting St. George and the Dragon,
a 1500’s marble sculpture of the Last Supper, a 1500’s
polyptych representing the Madonna and Child, attributed to Antonello
de Saliba, and a 1500’s statue of the Madonna della Consolazione.
1600’s Chiesa di Gesù e Maria also contains interesting
pieces, such as a canvas depicting The Triumph of the Cross and
Jesus and Mary.