is a small city of the province of Messina, standing 710m high in
a privileged setting dominating the Alcantara Valley. Being at a
close distance to both the Nebrodi and Etna parks, many naturalistic
sites can be found in its environs.
has a total population of 1,400 inhabitants, most of whom are engaged
in farming activities. It was founded in the 1700’s by the
Prince Francesco Lanza. Sprung from the division of Lanza into two
different villages, namely Malvagna and Moio Alcantara, it became
an autonomous town in 1947, together with the latter.
has a number of interesting cultural and historical spots, such
as the Prince Palace, the remnants of a 1600’s Convent of
Minor Friars and a small Byzantine church known as “Cuba”,
dating from the 8th century.